shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your Spessartite

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
A 7mm round Loliondo spessartite that I just picked up.

IMG_4315.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And just for fun, a parcel of 5mm rounds that I sorted through!

IMG_4299.JPG

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay now, I don't know if my eyes need recalibrating, but the last few examples shown (including your parcel shot Cell) all look to have a brown modifier. Am I seeing things again or do others see it as well?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing - Bright Ice: if you are still on the fence re your new stone, you might also want to get in touch with Michael at Litnon. He seems to get new stones and rough all the time and while he seems terribly busy, if you could get him to focus, I'm sure he could find you a good stone to your liking.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
anythingorange|1330734412|3139600 said:
This would provide some seriously good finger coverage! :mrgreen:

But I bet it would be a bitch to set.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1331527567|3146662 said:
Okay now, I don't know if my eyes need recalibrating, but the last few examples shown (including your parcel shot Cell) all look to have a brown modifier. Am I seeing things again or do others see it as well?
Given that the last few examples have all been Loliondos, I would expect trace amounts of brown and even more yellow. I went though the entire parcel of 5mm stones, and none had the saturation of my 7mm stones. Not surprising though, given the smaller size/depth.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
These are mine; the round Portuguese stone is Namibian origin. The native cut roval is Loliondo.

Spess stones.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1331530303|3146685 said:
These are mine; the round Portuguese stone is Namibian origin. The native cut roval is Loliondo.

How included is your Namibian and may I ask where you got it? It wouldn't be from Litnon, would it?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
The Namibian is clean, MB. Am I right in sensing that you're familiar with this stone?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I believe its the one I was coveting and tried to buy but unfortunately, someone else beat me to it :Up_to_something: So he was nice enough to say he would continue his search and thought he'd get some new material in January, but alas, it has come and gone and I haven't heard a word... :(( Time to contact him again.

I hope you love it! Would you describe it as Fanta? Does it glow? Does it meet your criteria for Fanta Mandarin? From his pictures, I thought it would, because it looked vibrant, vivid orange with just a slight touch of red. Is it like that in real life?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just been on this quest. My holy grail is a round or cushion cut vivid Fanta orange spess, and I believe that means a Namibian. I keep buying them thinking this one will be the one, but not yet, except for a small one and a very large oval.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
MB, that would have been me. I lucked out big time, with a HUGE assist from Cellentani.

About six months prior, I'd bought the roval from Litnon, while I did love the stone, it was missing that reddish "hot coal" look that Celle's stone has. I kept it because the color was beautiful, but thought about getting it recut since all my other stones are precision cut.

She happened to catch that stone RIGHT as it went up, and she pinged me right away. Not only did it have the hot coal component I'd been missing in the other stone, but it was also cleaner and much better cut.

Oddly enough, when i got it, I thought I'd sell the roval but I havne't been able to bring myself to do it. I think I like having a representation from each source, so I decided to keep the roval for a pendant (and maybe do a recut - dunno).

Yes, I'd describe it as Fanta, and yes, it glows like NO tomorrow. I have about a dozen stones in my gem case, and these two immediately draw the eye. I have other pictures that really emphasize the red in it too - will share a few with you tonight in here when I'm home from work.

anythingorange

Rough_Rock
All these beautiful Namibians...I'm so jealous! I would love to see one in person.

I was under the impression that it is virtually impossible to get a Namibian Spessartite nowadays. Am I wrong about this?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I am a Charger girl, so I don't like Orange Crush (Denver Broncos) references.... :Up_to_something:

However, I am always in the mood for some Cheetos!!

cheetos spess.jpg

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Glowing hand shot with my cell phone....

Spess.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
FIREBALL! :appl: :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the answer to that was briefly discussed earlier in the thread, but this is what I know. For all intents and purposes, the Namibian mine has been closed for some time. There may be bits coming out of Namibia still, but I believe its a very small quantity and not necessarily even from the same location as the Namibian mine. There are other areas of production such as Loliondo (or has that one shut now too - I know that at least its been slowing down) and Nigeria.

From what I gather, some lapidaries and collectors still have Namibian rough or cut stones available and it surfaces on the market every so often, either as rough or as cut stones. Maybe If we're very good... :saint: :praise:

Now that might not be "Fanta," but we can start a "Cheetoh" orange. That would definitely be Loliondo!

anythingorange

Rough_Rock
cellentani|1331526620|3146654 said:

cellentani, your stone is amazing! May I ask where you purchased it?

IMG_4315.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
anythingorange|1331598128|3147267 said:
cellentani|1331526620|3146654 said:

cellentani, your stone is amazing! May I ask where you purchased it?
Sure! I just picked it up from Prima Gems this past weekend - they do some of the Intergem shows, but they now have an office in Manhattan, and a website is underway as well. I've gotten several stones from Prima, and Jaimeen has always been stellar to work with. There's contact info on their website if you want to get in touch. primagemsusa.com

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellentani, Lloliondo is beautiful but your Namibian is TDF...

This is a small Namibian that I purchased from Richard Homer. (The oval stone is not his).

homer11.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, BI, what did you decide? Still thinking?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not mine, but I wish. A 27 carat spess from Nomad gems. Everyone has such beautiful stones in this thread, I can't comment on just one!

mandarin_garnet_nomad.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
TL|1331675736|3147973 said:
Not mine, but I wish. A 27 carat spess from Nomad gems. Everyone has such beautiful stones in this thread, I can't comment on just one!

WOW! I would love to hold that piece of orange goodness just to say I did!! That is a beautiful cut!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1331674737|3147955 said:
So, BI, what did you decide? Still thinking?

After much deliberation, I sent it back today :(( . It was not the color that I wanted to settle for and the inclusions just bugged me too much although I am sure it is pretty clean for a Loliondo. It will be back to Gene in a few days and I feel it will be available for those who might be interested.

My hunt will continue!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Awww, that's too bad BI. I am sure you will find what you are looking for.

I get buyers remorse ALL THE TIME with colored stones. For some odd reason, even though my Spess has screaming inclusions and had a high ticket price...my mind only rarely freaks out. For some reason, I just love this ring. I think it's because it encapsulates the entire experience of obtaining it and setting as well as the fact that it is one of my first colored stone rings.

I am sure that as I continue to dabble in color, I will not hesitate to send stones back that don't "do it" for me. Good Luck!!

anythingorange

Rough_Rock
bright ice,

I'm sorry the stone didn't work out for you. Best to keep searching until you find one that you love.

Have you looked at the Spessartites on ajsgem.com? They seem to have quite a few in many sizes. I haven't purchased anything from them, but they are on the list of respected vendors.

Good luck!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom has always said: "If in doubt, don't". Someone else will love that one, I'm sure, and hopefully you'll find one that you're more certain about.

anythingorange

Rough_Rock
movie zombie, if you're out there, do you have any photos of your Spess that you can share? I would love to see some. We are Wise Spess sisters, after all. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results