shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice, please. Resetting my 2.56 ct elongated cushion cut diamond, CAD looks a little 'off'

Vivatwo

Rough_Rock
IMG_9197.jpeg I’m having my engagement ring diamond (2.51 ct….8.20 x 7.53 x 5.17 mm, GIA I, VS1 modified cushion cut) reset at my local jeweler, he does all his work on site. This is the third set of drawings they’ve sent me and I still feel that it's not quite right. My request was to have an angled halo (similar to the fabulous Victor Canera that was posted by Frankiextah) with very little metal showing along the bottom edge, no airline, and have the halo set tight, so that it would not look scalloped along the bottom edge. The size of melee is 2.2 in the halo and 2.4 in the band. Is that too big to get a tight fit? Would increasing the number of diamonds in the halo, but decreasing their size, give that seamless look? They said they went with a bigger meleé than what they started out with in their design.
Is the halo sitting too low? Would having it raised to sit at or just under the girdle give it that continuous sparkle look I’m after? I’d like it to look a little chunky, which is why I thought having it sit a bit lower than a usual halo.
This is a 'one and done' reset for me, and they said that once the setting is made, I can’t make any changes, and my budget wouldn’t allow for a whole new, fresh restart!
If anyone has any advice, or an opinion, please share? It’d be greatly appreciated!

IMG_9213.jpeg IMG_9212.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few initial thoughts...

The halo looks too tilted to me.
The halo stones look too big, which may give it a scalloped look.

Can you provide the link to Frankiextah's VC so we can see what her halo looks like?

Lastly, ask for a wax model to be approved before they make it in metal so you can make any last-minute changes.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @tyty333. I think those halo stones need to be much smaller so that it looks tight around the center stone with no scalloped look. And yes, it's too tilted. Also if you want it to look more integrated, then lower the center stone some.
Definitely require a wax since the jeweler says no changes and I assume no refunds, so I'd be fearful of just relying on the CAD. You need the wax to see if they can execute what you want.

By the way, have you used this jeweler for custom pieces before? If not, have you seen their custom work?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you provided an image of the inspiration ring and this is what you got I’m feeling nervous about this working out the way you hope for. There is a lot that is off here.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My request was to have an angled halo with very little metal showing along the bottom edge, no airline, and have the halo set tight, so that it would not look scalloped along the bottom edge.

Seeing your jeweler’s previous work portfolio that comes close to what you are envisioning this to mean,

is key.

Vivatwo

Rough_Rock

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. I got a little sidetracked when looking for the @frankiextah post, as one does on here.
I found her post about the beautiful Victor Canera halo. The angle of this halo is 25 degrees, which is very helpful. Mine looks to be closer to 45!
Previously, I had only seen her comparison post for the 3 different resets that she had done, which included the VC setting.

Vivatwo

Rough_Rock
A few initial thoughts...

The halo looks too tilted to me.
The halo stones look too big, which may give it a scalloped look.

Can you provide the link to Frankiextah's VC so we can see what her halo looks like?

Lastly, ask for a wax model to be approved before they make it in metal so you can make any last-minute changes.

I found the post, and linked to it down below. Thank you for that suggestion!

Vivatwo

Rough_Rock
I agree with @tyty333. I think those halo stones need to be much smaller so that it looks tight around the center stone with no scalloped look. And yes, it's too tilted. Also if you want it to look more integrated, then lower the center stone some.
Definitely require a wax since the jeweler says no changes and I assume no refunds, so I'd be fearful of just relying on the CAD. You need the wax to see if they can execute what you want.

By the way, have you used this jeweler for custom pieces before? If not, have you seen their custom work?

Do you have a recommendation on size I should drop to? I haven’t used them for custom work before. I’ll ask to see some of their work, that’s a great idea!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, agree you need to either lower the main stone or raise the halo.

I'm a little concerned about whether you're going to end up with what you want. We're used to looking at David Klass CADs and you
can tell so much better what the final ring will look like.

If I'm not mistaken 2.2mm stones are around 4 pointers. Definitely too big for a Frankiextah-type halo. I've never done a halo
but I think you need to be around 1.5 mm size stones (Maybe smaller...wait for more input from those who have done halos).
I'll see if I can find some other CADS to compare with.

Did you show your jeweler a picture of Frankiextah's halo? What is your jeweler working from?

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think there is any way that your CAD will turn out looking like your inspiration ring. Are you committed to this jeweler? If they have seen pictures of Frankiextah's ring and then provided this CAD, I'd be concerned.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
with very little metal showing along the bottom edge, no airline, and have the halo set tight, so that it would not look scalloped along the bottom edge

Your cad shows scalloped.
Some may equate ‘very little metal showing’ to having that same scalloped look.
If you showed your jeweler the straight lower edge on the VC halo and the scalloped is what you received
I think verbal terminology definition differences are the first issue.

Smaller halo melee will get you closer to similarity idea of your inspo
but here is some other visuals to ponder as well
You_Doodle_2024-05-07T15_02_44Z.png

But still and again - seeing your vendors finished work is just as important as the CAD design - in being happy with a one and done shot

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results