shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep solitaire setting or reset with tapered baguettes?

mbk718

Rough_Rock
Hi, I keep debating on whether I should reset my diamond in a more elaborate setting. My current stone is just a little over 2ct round brilliant color grade I, VVS2. I need to reset it anyway because it has gotten very big for me and I don’t want to resize it again (as I’ve resized a few times in the past).

I’m debating between keeping a solitaire but on a thinner band (1.6mm) with 4 prongs instead of the 6 that I currently have. Or go a totally different route and choose this Tacori setting. I am definitely going to keep my current wedding band and will wear the two rings together. Would love to hear your thoughts. Also, if anyone has any experience with Tacori (good or bad) I would love to hear. Thanks in advance!

IMG_4515.jpeg IMG_4255.jpeg
Tacori setting: https://www.tacori.com/engagement-ring-royalt-ht2657rd85/

Attaching pictures of current set and the tacori that I tried on (together with my wedding band).

Attachments

• IMG_4504.jpeg
    IMG_4504.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_4512.jpeg
    IMG_4512.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4511.jpeg
    IMG_4511.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4506.jpeg
    IMG_4506.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4256.jpeg
    IMG_4256.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 59

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori was really popular on PS about 15 years ago. If you search you will find many threads. My understanding is that it’s a very reputable brand.

I like the tapered baguettes. I would not recommend a 1.6mm shank as it will not stand the test of time. There are many stories on here of people wearing these ultra thin bands and them going out of round. 2mm is generally the thinnest most people recommend around these parts.

I don’t personally like the very ornate look of Tacori but that is personal preference. If you like it, it is a beautiful look and the brand well known for quality.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I like what you have. If you feel the need to change the mounting then just get a solitaire 6-prong with a more substantial shank. I think something a bit more substantial (not wide but not so thin) actually looks more expensive and higher quality and “worthy” of your beautiful diamond band. I prefer solitaires in 6-prong as it so beautifully enhances the roundness of having a round stone. I think the Tacori doesn’t work together with your diamond band. It’s too much together and they aren’t the right pairing for each other as I see it. I also think you will get tired of that look. What you have now is classic and timeless.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I love the baguettes. It sounds like you have been contemplating an ornate ring for a while so IMHO you should go for it.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion, for what it's worth, is if you really want to add baguettes, then just do a setting with the baguettes, but not the elaborate gallery of the Tacori setting. I agree it seems a bit much with your band.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree - I think the Tacori setting is too much with the band. I would keep the solitaire or three stone if you go that route, much simpler.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never been a fan of Tacori...too elaborate and sits up too high (for me*). I agree with others. If you want a baguette setting
you could go with something simpler with baguettes. This ring set is not for me so you get what you like best.

mbk718

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your comments. I agree that it’s too elaborate. I keep looking at simpler baguette settings (I specifically like tapered baguettes) but I haven’t found one yet where I really loved the side view (when looking at the ring from down up if that makes sense. They all look gorgeous to me when looking at the sing straight on (when on the finger) but when looking at the finger facing down I haven’t seen one that I love yet. Any recommendations?

I’m looking up lots of older posts here too and find them very useful. Thank you!

mbk718

Rough_Rock
I could also just go with an updated solitaire setting in platinum rather than the 18k I currently have and add an anniversary band and wear the three rings together. I do love the look of both options. I just want more sparkle on my finger I guess :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A three stone with rounds or baguettes would balance out the look a bit. However, I am sure you already know that the girdles of your band will saw into prongs or metal that it touches. You might even want to consider a spacer now with your current rings. It looks as though your diamond sits up high, but with three stone settings they usually set lower making the ‘sawing’ effect closer to the prongs. Just something to keep in mind moving forward!

mbk718

Rough_Rock
A three stone with rounds or baguettes would balance out the look a bit. However, I am sure you already know that the girdles of your band will saw into prongs or metal that it touches. You might even want to consider a spacer now with your current rings. It looks as though your diamond sits up high, but with three stone settings they usually set lower making the ‘sawing’ effect closer to the prongs. Just something to keep in mind moving forward!

Sorry. Although I had an acct here for a while I haven’t visited in years so I don’t know much about this or the terminology. What do you mean that the girdles of my band will saw into the prongs? I don’t know what that means . What’s the sewing effect?

Is there any particular designer maybe that you would recommend I look into for the style I’m looking for?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It means that over time the edges of the diamonds in your wedding band will rub against the engagement ring and cut into any metal they touch.

mbk718

Rough_Rock
It means that over time the edges of the diamonds in your wedding band will rub against the engagement ring and cut into any metal they touch.

Got it. Thanks for explaining it to me!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its a beautiful ring and they make a really stunning set
all i would do would be to put it on a thicker gold band

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results