shape
carat
color
clarity

Fyi: IGI Scores Diamonds for Light Performance

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! How soon will these certificates start circulating? Excited to see how they correlate.

Part of my brain says, snatch up non branded great cuts now!

gatorsrule

Rough_Rock
Wow! How soon will these certificates start circulating? Excited to see how they correlate.

Part of my brain says, snatch up non branded great cuts now!

I have a feeling the light performance scores are based on the specs of the diamond and not really based on someone looking at the diamond through an optical scope.

Ken Naw

Rough_Rock
Scores with a computer generated ideal scope based on the data. Maybe better than HCA?

Would be really useful if retail expose that data to enable effective filters to reduce the legwork of finding diamonds that have specific qualities buyers are after.

Hearts and arrows, HPHT, CVD aren't always available as filters for example.

sme

Rough_Rock
I found the following "Score Card" on the IGI website during my research for a perfect stone this week:

It seems that the evaluation of the light performance is mainly based on the proportions. A pricescope ideal diamond would be the perfect IGI light score near to 100.

Edit:
Here are some additional information:

„Note that light performance analysis is based on external proportions and does not account for dense clarity characteristics/reduced transparency.“

„The Ideal-Scope Representation, generated with ray-tracing software, conforms to the diamond’s specific parametric averages

In other words: The averaged proportions are used in a software that simulates the reflections.

Last edited:

Ken Naw

Rough_Rock
I found the following "Score Card" on the IGI website during my research for a perfect stone this week:

It seems that the evaluation of the light performance is mainly based on the proportions. A pricescope ideal diamond would be the perfect IGI light score near to 100.

Edit:
Here are some additional information:

„Note that light performance analysis is based on external proportions and does not account for dense clarity characteristics/reduced transparency.“

„The Ideal-Scope Representation, generated with ray-tracing software, conforms to the diamond’s specific parametric averages

In other words: The averaged proportions are used in a software that simulates the reflections.

Thanks, I'm printed out the 16 page PDF to reference.

Ken Naw

Rough_Rock
Ok I've used their charts to get a grading for a diamond I have and previously scored with HCA and the IGI scoring is fairly relaxed compared to the tougher standards of HCA

With IGI

Light performance = Exceptional
Brightness = Exceptional
Fire = Exceptional
Contrast = Exceptional

With the higher standard HCA
(Only an average Cut Advisor Score of 2.1)

Light return = Very good
Fire = Very good
Scintillation = Very good
Spread = Very good

So it seems that IGI may not be that stringent.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Ok I've used their charts to get a grading for a diamond I have and previously scored with HCA …

What are the stats in the diamond you scored? Mind sharing?

Ken Naw

Rough_Rock
What are the stats in the diamond you scored? Mind sharing?

Having taken another look at all the 16 pages of the table percentages in the IGI doc it's physically impossible to come out with a low score on their scales. The lowest is Superior, and the only other grade available is Exceptional.

Although there are 3 lower categories available, the scoring doesn't provide low enough numbers to categorise a diamond into that bucket. (Even if fudging a bad result). So the only grades that can be assigned are in CAPS below it seems. IGI don't provide any score lower than 90 for any category in any of the tables. Any cut beyond these boundaries are not provided a low score to be able to ascertain a low rating. (Unless I have misinterpreted)

Low
Moderate
High
SUPERIOR
EXCEPTIONAL

This is the diamond rated under both scoring systems https://www.igi.org/verify-your-report/?r=LG618455187

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Howdy everyone,

More info here:
and here:

I am sure there are a million and one questions.

If anyone was curious about what was taking a lot of my PS time :)
I am not an official spokesperson so any information is not official.
I was one of many working on it, John Pollard and I did most of the system design work with support from many people.

To answer some questions,
At this launch reports are only issued, optionally, for the “Exceptional” range. Will expand to Superior next.

We have a ton of respect for Garry and the HCA in the end we found out we agreed with the HCA much of the time but in some cases we disagreed.
We do take more parameters into consideration, such as lower girdle/halve angles and upper girdle/halve angles this changes the edges a lot.
Garry was instrumental in training both John and myself as well as many others.
I still learn something from him nearly every time we talk even after all these years.

sme

Rough_Rock
More info here:
and here:

I was one of many working on it, John Pollard and I did most of the system design work with support from many people.

At this launch reports are only issued, optionally, for the “Exceptional” range. Will expand to Superior next.

We have a ton of respect for Garry and the HCA in the end we found out we agreed with the HCA much of the time but in some cases we disagreed.
We do take more parameters into consideration, such as lower girdle/halve angles and upper girdle/halve angles this changes the edges a lot.
I still learn something from him nearly every time we talk even after all these years.

Thanks for the info! Do you know if IGI plans to update old IGI reports, or will only the new ones include the light performance info?

Ken Naw

Rough_Rock
Howdy everyone,

More info here:
and here:

Ah, thanks for sharing! The blank squares in the scoring matrix would explain the fact the system is yet to be expanded out.

Ken Naw

Rough_Rock
As long as it has reasonable lowers and stars% the combination looks like a winner to me.
354408.jpg

Is this image generated from the diamond report numbers?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is this image generated from the diamond report numbers?

Yes,
Table,ca,pa from the report.
Star% and Lower% are common values.

Ken Naw

Rough_Rock
Yes,
Table,ca,pa from the report.
Star% and Lower% are common values.

Thanks for the clarification. How would I generate an image from numbers, or is that the preserve of special access?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the clarification. How would I generate an image from numbers, or is that the preserve of special access?

The software to do so is no longer for sale.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I posted here about a webinar that is on Rapaport next week with John Pollard and me:

Ken Naw

Rough_Rock
The software to do so is no longer for sale.

Ok.

The other diamond I bought

With the IGI scoring

Brightness = Exceptional
Fire = Exceptional
Contrast = Exceptional

and with HCA
Cut Advisor Score of 1.5

Light return = Excellent
Fire = Very good
Spread = Very good

Would it be possible to see the computer generated image from the IGI PDF report figures for this diamond too, if easy, and if you have time

Thanks.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok.

The other diamond I bought

With the IGI scoring

Brightness = Exceptional
Fire = Exceptional
Contrast = Exceptional

and with HCA
Cut Advisor Score of 1.5

Light return = Excellent
Fire = Very good
Spread = Very good

Would it be possible to see the computer generated image from the IGI PDF report figures for this diamond too, if easy, and if you have time

Thanks.

Its not going to show much as the base combo works very well.
Do you have a spin video link so I can estimate the other values not on the report?

Ken Naw

Rough_Rock
Its not going to show much as the base combo works very well.
Do you have a spin video link so I can estimate the other values not on the report?

This is the video

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
This is the video

That’s a pretty diamond!

We usually tell people to use HCA as an exclusion tool and not to split hairs too much with it. Granted, we also tell ppl that a crown height of 14 isn’t necessarily going to give “exceptional” fire.

Will be interesting to hear what the experts say.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Granted, we also tell ppl that a crown height of 14 isn’t necessarily going to give “exceptional” fire.
That's one of the things commonly passed around that is false.
Many of the combinations with slightly lower CH do favor brightness over fire across a wide range of lighting.
However it is 100% false that in lighting conductive to fire that they can't knock your socks off as much as any other combo.

Edit: im not at my pc to create an image but its not going to show much, the combo works.

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
That's one of the things commonly passed around that is false.
Many of the combinations with slightly lower CH do favor brightness over fire across a wide range of lighting.
However it is 100% false that in lighting conductive to fire that they can't knock your socks off as much as any other combo.

Good to know!

Lately, there have been a lot of 15.5-16 crown heights touted as great for fire. But according to you, those combo need to have longer lowers, is that correct?

Just trying to get my details straight, and as always, really appreciate your input here on PS!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good to know!

Lately, there have been a lot of 15.5-16 crown heights touted as great for fire. But according to you, those combo need to have longer lowers, is that correct?

Just trying to get my details straight, and as always, really appreciate your input here on PS!

Depends on the exact combo.
A high CH can be from a small table or a steep CA or some combo of both.
What they need to work the best varies a lot depending on specifics.
40.6PA and lower, longer lgf% = less obstruction area
Over 40.6PA with steeper crowns, longer lgf% = less chance of leakage.
Longer in this case means 77+
For many combos 77-78% is a nice balance point.
When you get further out 80% is needed to expand the edges of acceptable combos.
If you have IS/ASET scopes you can use them instead of the general rules to set the edges.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results